MMPA was formed on May 23, 1916 when a small group of dairy farmers from the Howell
area gathered at what was then the Michigan Agricultural College in East Lansing.
They met to establish a stable, reliable market and price for their milk. The principles
and organizational structure which these intuitive farmers established in 1916,
laid the ground work for what is now an integral part of today's dairy industry.
The basic premise of a cooperative, groups of people working together for the
betterment of all, has been instrumental in this country's history. We continue
to do business through cooperatives today because history ensures us that it works.